Sunday, April 15, 2012

Review: Latter-Day of the Dead by Kevin Krohn

Synopsis:
Harrowing cries escaped the contorted faces of our flock. End of Days was a known truth but never a faced reality. Once the madness broke...we feared it would never subside.

Publication Date: March 10, 2012
Genre: Adult, Zombie, Horror
Source: Thanks so much to the Author, Kevin Krohn, for my review copy!


Review:
I've been reading a lot of Zombie genre stuff lately. Some have been amazing and others have fallen short of what I had hoped they would be. Latter-Day of the Dead has a very unique premise and delivered on my (high) expectations for this genre.

If I could describe this book in two words I'd use: realistic and...er...um, realistic :) I know some people just can't get into the whole zombie thing, but I can easily dive into the story and believe that part of it (if done well). So to me even that part is realistic, but just assuming you are on board with zombie-ness I'm talking about the realism in the setting and how the characters react to the situation.

A zombie outbreak occurs in a secluded, polygamist community. All of the minute details are there without over-powering the story. It really makes the story what it is. I can't even imagine the amount of research that went into this novel, but it makes a huge impact on the reader.

There is plenty of gore and craziness (loved it), but I really liked the story going on with the community and their leader. I'm excited to see this continue into the next book. The only negative thing I have to say is that it was shorter than I expected. But that just means I loved it and wanted to keep going even after it ended :)


Find out more about this book on Amazon or Goodreads.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

I can't WAIT to read this book!

Lisa Mandina said...

Love the cover! Haven't heard of this, but I'm going to put it on my TBR list!

Jackie M. said...

Yay! I hope you guys like it! The idea of a zombie outbreak occuring in this setting had never (ever) entered my mind til this book. Pretty cool!

Yago said...

Hey,

I've never read any book of Zombies, but I'd like too, and this looks a nice one to start :)

I just didn't like the cover, but that's ok haha.

Hugs,
Yago.

Jackie M. said...

@Yago This one is definitely in the 'Adult' fiction category, so keep that in mind :) If you're looking for something in YA there are some good ones to start with...not quite as intense :)