Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Blood by K. J. Wignall

Synopsis:
I do not remember being bitten. I wish I did, for then I would know the creature who did this to me and I would have a purpose, to track him down and repay him for the poisoned gift he gave me. Back in the Thirteenth Century, Will was destined to be Earl of Mercia, although he never lived to inherit his title. In the centuries that follow, Will has led a lonely life, learning to deal with whatever the present day throws at him, always searching for answers but never finding any. Until this time, when he awakens after a 20-year-slumber, hungry for the blood that sustains his undeath, when it appears that he is finally getting a glimpse at why he exists. He does indeed have a destiny, and an enemy, but revealing that fate will be a matter of trust...

Review:
Blood starts off with a first person narrative from the main character, Will. I think these snippets that are found throughout the novel are some of my favorite parts. It let me see what was going on with this character and helped me connect with him a bit more.

The relationship between Will and Eloise fell kind of flat for me. I felt like a lot of their conversations were vehicles to present the reader with information about the story that could have been shown in a more engaging way.

All this to say, I liked reading Blood, thought the story idea was a cool and interesting, but the pacing and character interactions kept it from being something I could really gush about.

I should add that the end of the book gives you a glimpse into what will be happening in the next installment, and it makes me think the next one might be a funner read. The setting alone makes me think it will be more enjoyable. I will be interested to read book two and see how things develop. If you are a fan of vampire fiction, which I am, I would say to definitely give it a try.

Publication Date: September 27, 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Vampires
Source: Thanks to Egmont Books and Netgalley.

1 comment:

Novels On The Run said...

Glad you enjoyed these books, I have some sitting to read as ebooks, I really should get on to them.

MIchelle